The Building Blocks of Advanced Harmonica Playing
October 31st - November 4th 2018
Marko Jovanovic’s workshop in 2018 will provide detailed insights into his broad, inspirational vision of the complex world of high level harmonica playing.
In order to ensure a balance between theoretical and practical aspects, appropriate exercises will help students put what they have learned into practice in all three subject areas.
Introduction to the fundamental playing techniques
- Correct embouchure - the prerequisite for a good sound and the basis for
- tongue and throat accentuation, exercises using the bending matrix
- Tonal shadings as an aid to expressive playing
- Playing chromatically on the diatonic harmonica
- Scale and chord movement patterns as melodic building blocks
- Integrating rhythmic scale and chord exercises, phrasing and groove as a basis for improvisation
- Improvising over the most important harmonic sequences
Musical and artistic aspects
- How to bring personal expression into your playing
- Learning to listen in a band context
- Communication in and through music
- How do melodies work? What is a motif, what is a theme?
- Song forms and structures
- How do I prepare a realistic practicing plan?
- Visualisation and consciousness exercises for a deeper understanding of music
Workshop entitles you to the following:
o Minimum 11 teaching units of 75 min. Wed – Sat
o Admission to the sessions in the Kesselhaus on all days
o Admission to the Harmonica Masters Concerts on Friday and Saturday
o Admission to supporting program events on all days