An Introduction to IRISH MUSIC on HARMONICA
The workshop will cover:
- The history of the harmonica in Irish music. How Irish music is constructed and how it’s usually played.
- Essentials for playing Irish music
- Here I will focus on the fundamental breathing techniques needed to be able to play Irish music. This includes learning to use the full volume of the lungs, building tone, how to use the nose as an air valve when playing, learning to relax and many other helpful tips.
- Techniques that I use when I play Irish music
- The importance of tongue blocking, and the other related techniques which this embouchure makes accessible to the player.
- Here I will start by teaching students a simple piece which they can play on a Richter tuned harmonica. When they know the basic melody line we will start to work on filling out the tune, adding new techniques such as octaves and intervals, vamping, drones and embellishments.
- Sheet music will be available for students if desired.
And from there, depending on how much time is available, I will move on to further tunes from different categories such as jigs, reels, polkas etc..
Students will need a standard diatonic harp in G
Workshop entitles you to the following:
o Minimum 11 teaching units of 75 min. or 90 min Wed – Sat
o Admission to the session in the Kesselhaus
o Admission to the Harmonica Masters Concerts on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
o Admission to supporting program events on all days